Monday, January 7, 2008

You Are Invited To A Top Secret Party (Shh Don't Tell Anyone)

Again, more questionable business practices. This one is how to invite people to your Grand Opening found on the Team Unity website:

Hello (their name), this is (your name) and I’m calling to invite you (and your wife/husband) to my new business Grand Opening Reception this (day) evening at (scheduled time) at my home -- (your address).

NOTE: It is important to invite both the husband and wife. Tell them to attend together because one will usually not make a decision without the other.

I am limiting this to (number of people) people and have arranged a special guest speaker -- so come a few minutes early so you won’t miss anything. Do you think you'll be able to make it?

If they ask what it's about, say It's a surprise and I don't want to ruin the surprise, that is why we are having the reception. If you can't come, I will call you afterwards and fill you in. (DO NOT get into a discussion of what the business is all about that is the purpose of the Reception.)

If they can come, ask them to bring something -- like a bag of ice, paper cups, or a bottle of Coke (something simple and inexpensive). This gives them even more of a reason to make sure they come.
OK, so let me get this straight, invite them. Tell them there is a "special" speaker. Remember, do not tell them what the business is under any circumstance. Make them support the party by bringing something (get them used to supporting your lifestyle). Don't worry, the special guest will be there to serve the Kool Aid and close the deal.

12 comments:

  1. Wow sounds real familiar....same thing happened at my relatives place. I was told this "team leader" was doing these meetings every Saturday for free...they were gaining nothing from it. This came from the same guy that joined YTB at one of the meetings.

    And of course they don't want you to tell your other about it, they just may be smarter than the one going. Its all about pressure and thats what they are feeding off of. Get them before they have time to think. YTB people are the lowest scum on the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I will say that at my presentation (it was not a party) they did not seem too high pressure to me. Maybe it was subliminal.

    But the line was (and I have heard it several times) "If you agree and think this is a good idea, sign up. If you don't, that is fine, but please consider buying your travel from the person that brought you here." That was about the limit of the pressure I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess individually it is bit different. The one relative I keep talking about is going around telling people, "I can't BELIEVE that so and so didn't sign up for this!". That in itself is trying to shame people into joining. But like I said thats on a individual basis.

    My original thought was reflecting on your latest blog entry...why wouldn't you want to tell the other person your going with about where and why you are going to this "secret" party...

    ReplyDelete
  4. GRAND OPENING - exTRAVELganza!

    We’re excited to announce the Grand Opening of our Travel Business and wanted to share this opportunity with our Friends and Family. Here’s your chance to get to know all about us.

    We would like to invite you and your guest to join us:

    Date & Time: ...

    Location: ...



    We look forward to sharing the information regarding the Company, the Benefits To You, the Tax Savings and Travel Rewards and the other opportunities available.



    As our special appreciation to you for coming, we will be giving all attendees a 3 Day, 2 Night FREE Get Away just for coming to hear more about our New Business.

    We hope you can join us. Please R.S.V.P. to ... or call ...

    This is the invitation I received. I did some investigating and wasn't too impressed with what I saw about YTB but was assured the hotel getaway deal was for real. It wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to make them basically bring a "dish to pass" lol - NOW that's TACKY!!! How funny is that? :-) I thought they were making all the big bucks??

    ReplyDelete
  6. they also don't want you to "know" because they don't want to give you time to do any research on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what? If I got this from a family member, friend, or neighbor, my first question would be "what are you selling"? And if I got any sort of answer like, "it's a surprise", my response would be, "sorry, I don't like surprises so I won't be attending."

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1st of all, we never say it's a FREE hotel getaway. This is because we know it isn't so. Whoever did say that it was free, must cease and decist. It is, however a discounted 2 night hotel stay... and very well worth it.

    There's also absolutely NOTHING unlawful about throwing a "travel party" to do both... bring people into the business and create clients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did someone say it was unlawful? IF so, I missed it.

    Proud--you really need to become the voice of YTB. It is amazing that you are the only one that seemingly speaks the truth. Yet on the other hand you want us to believe there is one lone rogue RTA out there causing all this trouble. Doing shows in Maryland, parties in Scams backyard, and issuing press releases from the Farm in California and claiming to be all good with IATAN.

    Are you beginning to see that it is more than one? You are the minority here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never said that there was just one rogue YTBer. Show me where I staetd that there was only one!

    Maybe I should be the spokesman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never say never, Proud. I saved the emails that assured me it WAS free.
    It cetainly wasn't what it was claimed to be (but I was at a YTB meeting, so no surprise there) but you had to pick 3 locations and 3 weekends you could go, HAD to bring your spouse, HAD to bring a credit card and NOT a debit card and pay 50$ that would be refunded. Crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. the part is I find tackiest of all is not the surprise element itself but the request to bring in a snack to a biz presentation. To me this transalates into not making enough money to afford the coke and chips, if you do not have enough money to show for that then its no surprise.

    ReplyDelete