Monday, December 1, 2008

The Facts Half-Truths About YTB--Part 3


Today, let's take a look at the third tab on the new YTB site called www.TheFactsAboutYTB.com :

Identity:

This is a nice fluff piece and makes for a good brochure, but is once again laden with half truths and misleading statements.

This first paragraph discusses their ethical standards and the experience of their Board and Corporate Executives. Here is what they do not say:
  • They are being sued by California for deceptive business practices
  • They are being sued in two separate Class Action Suits for in excess of $100M for deceptive business practices.
  • That YTB and Coach Tomer is personally being sued for deception when he convinced a gardener working at his mansion to give up and sell his business to join YTB as an employee and was subsequently fired.
  • That YTB has been the target of investigations in the past.
  • That YTB is currently the subject of statewide investigations in at least three other states other than California.
  • That YTB knew about the California problem for 18 months and never disclosed it to the SEC or their field.
  • That YTB insiders sold a lot of stock during the California investigation while it was still marketable.
  • That YTB was delisted from the OTC markets for irregular accounting practices.
  • That YTB filtered $6M or $8M for their Statue of Liberty stage prop to a privately held company owned by Tomer and Sorensen.
  • That YTB has made numerous poor business decisions costing the company and mor importantly their shareholders millions--purchasing a jet from a Board member and selling it for a loss. Purchasing real estate from a Board member and selling it for a loss.
  • The list goes on....
YTB talks about being international. They do not mention that because they did not want to adhere to the TICO regulations for operating in Toronto, that they were almost run out of Canada and only saved themselves by being reactionary and buying a flailing retail location--Sunrise Travel.

YTB discusses the DSA and how YTB is the only travel company that is a member. Well, the DSA has nothing to do with travel. It is a lobbying organization for the MLM businesses. YTB did not mention if they were members of any travel related organizations like IATA, ASTA, ARTA, OSSN, or NACTA. Don't look. They are not. The only industry affiliation they have is with CLIA.

The Affiliate Health Plan is a money maker for YTB. They do not disclose this but according to Thayer Lindauer (their former attorney), YTB is acting as an ILLEGAL insurance agent and subsequently earns commissions on any policy that is purchased by an RTA. It needs to be noted (as it is not stated on the site) that this is a bare bones policy and offers very little coverage and classifies YTB as an illegal insurer in many jurisdictions since they have not received the appropriate licenses.



Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. Looks like another publication gets it as well. I believe this makes at least 4 credible sites that have taken issue with YTB in the last week. Too bad Travel Weekly hasn't figured it out.
    http://www.tripso.com/columns/what-was-travel-weekly-thinking-when-it-called-ytb-a-power-player/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI on the Tripso column - Ned is a forum member on Talking Travelers and is not an agent. Just a very well-informed consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI- YTB was also in the power list last year - they jumped 35th to 26th...this guy does not know what he is talking about. And just another FYI- TRIPSO is NOT a place I go for good information on the travel trade or industry news....I think everyone should know John Frenaye is a VP of relations at TRIPSO which makes it NOTSO credible...Whatever- Shovel up another one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an FYI, I have not been associated with Tripso since early last year! Nice try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you get the information on the health insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the words are orange, it is called a link. You can read about YTB being an illegal insurance broker there. As for it being substandard, all you need to do is read the policy

    ReplyDelete
  7. "And just another FYI- TRIPSO is NOT a place I go for good information on the travel trade or industry news"

    And just another FYI - Tripso is a consumer site. It is NOT an industry site. TTAs know that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Ann, don't you know anonymous doesn't know an industry site from a non industry site.

    Off your meds again YesUR aka anonymous? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reason I LOVE Tripso is that aside from the Consumer site, it has a private area for Travel Agents. Real Travel Agents. The ones who can answer a few simple questions about the industry to show they actually sell travel. Oh, and i think you have to be invited by a real Travel Agent. And that is why the "anonymous" above doesn't know about it - can't see it when he goes onto Tripso and so does not know it exists!!!

    Real CTA in MD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny you guys think that I am Yesur Who??? Whoever THAT is...I am not...and actually- there are more than 1 anon here because I did not make all these statements...who is delusional and needs meds? hmmmmmmmm.....you think you know it all. You don't....you all come off very smug here.

    And I am a REAL Travel Agent and hold an IATA card - BECAUSE OF MY SALES and I LOVE YTB. The training in the travel portal for beginners is good and decisive...The training on their E-campus is great too (Dr. Marc Mancini built the trainings)...I paid alot more for my training without a host agency helping me out...I believe that YTB will continue to grow and I am glad that I have a great site that I can go to which will provide me with a place for the consumer to book with me or without me and I put in ALOT less hours than I used to and make great money.
    My check was for over $1900 last month...and that did not include my Direct Sales checks and bonuses and overrides..which are very nice too.
    I used to sit at a desk and push papers and push phone buttons all day working at a host agency..now I am at home and people LOVE that they can build it themselves and call me if they need help - most often they don't. They are able to make a choice for themselves and don't need me to guide them...but if they do - which is less than 10% of my clientel - I help them...It is a load off my shoulders...
    I LOVE YTB. I am a 56 yr old Travel Agent. I give YTB my stamp of approval and am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read all the comments but aren't you assuming people are thinking you are someone when they could be talking about someone else?

    Thanks for the earning report. Frankly, I don't believe you and the offer still stands, redact all the personal info (your name, address, SSN, YTB's acct number) and fax or email me a copy of the check showing it is for travel sales and I will be more than happy to eat crow publicly. I have made the same offer for over a year and no one has stepped to the plate---are you brave enough?

    And don't get used to any of those travel overrides. They are gone now. Remember YTB is two companies (or are they one?) and no longer can a rep earn an override off of travel commissions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "And I am a REAL Travel Agent and hold an IATA card - BECAUSE OF MY SALES and I LOVE YTB."

    A REAL Travel Agent and hold an IATA card??? Not thru YTB you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "And I am a REAL Travel Agent and hold an IATA card - BECAUSE OF MY SALES and I LOVE YTB."


    No way in hell. IATAN kicked YTB to the curb.

    ReplyDelete