Monday, November 5, 2007

How Low Has the Cruise Industry Sunk?


I am considering this YTB/Carnival partnership to sell all these cruises on one day. I have my doubts as to the success of the idea, but we will see. Or more likely, we won't see. I know I am reluctant to discuss my failures--human nature.

But I got to wondering about cruising in general. YTB feels that with 106,000 websites and a few email blasts they can create this huge demand for cruising on Carnival Cruise Lines. If we take away the fact that 84% of those RTAs have not sold a single piece of travel and are probably blissfully unaware of the recent changes to their individual websites, I wonder when did travel purchases become an "impulse buy"?

I know that when I market to my clients, I need to present an idea to them three, four, maybe a dozen times before they act. I have seen very few impulse purchases unless it was a gift certificate.

Has Carnival now become the National Enquirer and The Star of the travel industry? Are we at the point, where an email, or a flash ad on a website is now all it takes to pick up a new cruise to go with that pot roast?

No comments:

Post a Comment